Fried okra is one of my favorite foods in all the land – if it’s done right.
And by done right, I mean cooked with the perfect amount of crispy coating on the outside while being smooth and tender on the inside. You’d think that would be easy enough, but when I was first married I managed to have more burnt crisps of okra because I couldn’t figure out the perfect balance of how to make it just right.

Finally, like every good Southern girl, I called my Mama. She knew just what I was doing wrong and set me straight in my fried okra making ways.

All this time, I was trying to get the perfect fried okra on the stove top alone. The secret was the combination of the stove top AND the oven! It’s how her Mama taught her and her Mama before her.

Hallelujah! It was if I could hear the angels singing when she said that!

My fried okra making days have been just fine since that day nearly 18 years ago, And I’m ever so thankful!

The world just wouldn’t be the same without good fried okra.
Here’s my family’s Fried Okra recipe. It’s a tradition.

Fried Okra Recipe

Fried Okra is a Southern staple. So simple to make, fried okra makes the perfect side dish. Get this heirloom family fried okra recipe that you'll love.

Ingredients

2 pounds okra, sliced
¾ cup corn meal
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup Canola or vegetable oil

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350º F.
Mix together okra, corn meal, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl, making sure well-coated.
In the meantime, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add okra to skillet once oil has reached the point where if a drop of water is added it will sizzle.
Allow okra to brown on one side, about 3 minutes, before gently stirring. Once both sides of okra have browned, about 3 more minutes, place into preheated oven. Cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes.

Notes
When slicing okra for cooking, make sure to discard the stem end and the tip. These are too tough, in my opinion, for frying.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105