Regarding the 1911's suitability as a "field gun"....
I agree and disagree with Andy.

I wouldn't take a "hobby grade" MIM filled 1911 into harm's way unless "harm's way" is defined as a trip to WalMart with a low round count MIM gun. Past that, and I'll take a Glock or HK any day.

Once you break the ceiling, and start looking at Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Springfield Pro, etc. then yes I would wholeheartedly take that 1911 anywhere.

I've owned dozens of 1911's, and have worn out Mimbers (yes, this is a slam on Kimber's extensive use of MIM parts), broken a Colt, blew up a MilSpec Springfield, and had a several Para Ords that wouldn't go bang reliably. I've had a Sig 1911 that went back to the factory so many times I swore I'd never own another one of their current products. The sights FELL OFF the Taurus I had, and the Llama...well...it was a Llama.

I've never had a problem with original Series 70 Colts, US Property Marked 1911s (some of which were EXTREMELY high round count rebuilds) or Les Baers.

I can have any 1911 I want, and I choose Les Baer. They aren't as refined as an Ed Brown, and they aren't "made to order" like a Wilson but I believe them to be more reliable / duty qualified and they're more accurate in my experience. They also can be had for $500-1500 less.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.