Originally Posted by greaser
This is where we differ Arch I would rather have something now and build it up over time for enjoyment than be without waiting to save up for a top of the line. But with that being said I have the mechanical ability and (most of the) tools to do the work needed to bring a subpar weapon up to snuff.

Working on a 1911 is a skill that is built over years. At Wilson they have their techs spend 12-24 months learning each job (tuning a trigger, etc).

Having worked on DOZENS of gun designs over the past 30 years has taught me a few things:

a) Buy right and cry once. Buy wrong and cry thrice (when you buy wrong, when you lose money selling it, and again when you buy right).

b) Life is too short for subpar gear.

c) I'm more committed than 99% of people. After all, I've read many many times the average "shooter" actually shoots less than 200 RDS of center fire year (I shoot that many per week per weapon design - which is a huge step down for me brought on by ammo prices).

d) A lot of people think they can build up a "just as good as a top brand" with a tier two base gun. This simply is not true. A typical Les Baer starts life with 24-48 hours of hand fitting and assembly by master builders. A Wilson is hand built and fired between each step - by master craftsman that have been doing that ONE function for years. A Colt Defense AR complies with 40 years of US Military testing, experimentation, and research by complying with the MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF RESEACH/TESTING AND BILLIONS OF ROUNDS EXPENDED inspired TDP which only a few have ever even had the priviledge of reading.

I'm not trying to be a male reproductive organ, but I 100% disagree and have WELL over 100,000 rounds down range and hundreds of guns owned over 30 years as a basis of my opinion.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.