Sorry Andy - I actually knew you all made the Kiwi guns, but wasn't clear in my post. I've read some pretty hate-filled commentary on Aussie soldiers who were "straddled with" the early F88s. I always question information found on the interwebs from unknown sources, but now that I've heard it from you I consider it 100% confirmed.

Regarding the inherent design issues, I have a few thoughts but would like to see what I missed:

1) Trigger - as a loyal Subject to the Crown (US Government) I do not have available the ability to acquire a full auto AUG. Therefore, I cannot comment on the "pull thru" full auto trigger system. I can say, having owned three AUGs, the trigger feel varies from "bad but tolerable" to "awful".

2) Reload - slow, difficult from prone.

3) Ejection - no weakside shooting here!

4) Original 1.5x Optic - my first AUG was a US Preban 905 Series with the integral 1.5x "Donut of Death" optic. The objective lens and/or field of view were too narrow. The 1.5x Fixed was too powerful for CQB and too weak for most other uses. The AUG I have now has their newest Schmidt & Bender made 3x optic with improved reticle. This is a VERY nice optic, but I wish it included an illuminated reticle.

5) The S/A Cocking Piece is very cheaply made, and I fear it'll break.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.