Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
If I do anything to my Box Stock Ar15A3 heavy barrel carbine (Model #6721 I THINK), I am wanting to do the following.

1. Add BUIS to take the place of the factory detachable carry handle/rear sight. Which ones should I look at.
2. Replace the factory hand guard for a new one with picatinny rails.
3. Add a vertical fore grip to the new hand guard.
4. Add a light to the rail or get one built into the fore grip.

Now like I said, this is a stock Colt carbine. What else should I consider/do to make it as dependable as it can be? I don't want flash/fancy gimmicks, just dependable functionality.

2, 3, and 4. Unless you're adding an optic, having folding BUIS won't do much for you except add precious seconds to deploying your rifle. But if there is a surefire (pun intended) way to enhance a bone stock rifle, it is adding a light and a way to muscle the weapon around. Since you're mounting a light, not a laser, you don't need a pricey rail kit. Even a cheap set of Tapcos or other Poly rail replacements would suit that purpose fine. Where you want to spend the coin is on the light. Don't cheap out, otherwise you'll get a light that goes dead when you need it. I am very partial to my Streamlight products, they have all proven very solid and easily adaptable to my weapons. My 5.56 AK is wearing a Streamlight PolyTac mounted in a scope ring, works perfectly, and is simple to employ. I've used Surefires before, but had issues with my old switch. As far as I know that issue has been resolved in recent iterations, however. There are some good options out there for relatively inexpensive, but Caveat Emptor if you buy it from CtD... it's all airsoft garbage IMNSHO

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118