I hear/read good things about X-Caliber, but when I started asking questions, the guy immediately pointed me to their most expensive (and Fugly) options, and strongly encouraged me to cryo it for $80, saying it would take care of any stresses in the barrel that MIGHT be introduced by fluting it.

Makes me nervous.

A) Seems they rifle, lap, and stress relieve the barrel (nitrogen-purged furnace) BEFORE they flute it. All the concern seems like it would go away if they would flute it before it goes in the furnace smirk

B) Cryo-ing a barrel doesn't really do anything to remove stress--heat treat does. Cryo-ing will remove maybe 6% of existing stresses, while heat treating removed 90-95% or more, I believe. It DOES impact the crystalline structure of the metal, so it might help with barrel life and some other issues (some. Maybe. A barrel isn't a knife...). It won't, however relieve the stresses.

I COULD buy a Wilson Combat 22" 6.5 CM straight fluted barrel that weighs 55oz and has the flying done correctly for less money, but I don't know what to expect from that barrel accuracy-wise, and I wonder if the corkscrew fluting (basically a deep, wide 6-to-8-flute spiral with something like a 1:8 or 1:6 twist) would get the X-Caliber down another 6-8 oz.

Some top competitors shoot DC Calibers... Haven't heard of any shooting Wilson Combat.

Just worried XC is too focused on up-selling to be concerned with their product. No doubt their straight up regularly profiled barrels are crazy accurate. Just not sure I have confidence in their fluting or extra services department...
frown

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington