Originally Posted by DogTired
[quote=Architect][quote=DogTired]

That's the gun I used. Maybe he had magic bullets. I even saw the hole in the critter as it wheeled around and ran. Found it with its lumgs both shot through and either the heart was clipped or it took off the top.
..... sometimes critters just throw you mate and refuse to die no matter how f'ed up they are. My Cape Buffalo ran a good 150yds and my PH was already berating me over projectiles (he like soft points, hates solids and I was using something between). When I got to the buff he was down for the count but I gave him another round to be sure. Once the cutting started he had to agree that the projectile had worked as well as any soft (tissue and organ damage) AND it had broadsided the buff. The heart was ripped. As he said, there was no logical reason that the animal was still on its feet as long as it was.

I like .44Mag as a play round, plenty of grunt for medium game and as you note, it is chambered in rifles that don't raise and eye. I had a Ruger .44 carbine (the 10/22 on steroids) that was, back in the day, when I could, my truck gun.