Ordered an X-Caliber matte stainless 22" 5r 1:8 heavy profile rifle+2 gas system 6 flute corkscrew fluted 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. It ran about $342 shipped with the sale.

I know that's not a huge amount for some (like Randy, apparently grin ), but is about $100 more than I've spent on any other barrel, and twice what I'd consider my normal limit. But I figure I plan to build 2, maybe 4 in my life, so this one I will build right.

That, and I couldn't get all the features I wanted in any barrel for less. 22" seems about the right length. With 20+ inches, you really need the extended gas tube to keep from damaging the gun. I'd do "bull barrel" if I thought I could carry it around. It needs a heavy profile to keep barrel whip down. Ideally, it would be fluted to cut down weight while being far more rigid than a non-fluted barrel of equal weight.

The big concerns were "heavy" not "bull" and rifle+2. X-Caliber was the only one I could find without breaking the bank. Ballistic Advantage is great for benchrest. Their fluted 22" was on the shortlist, but no r+2 gas system. Same for Wilson Combat. BA fluted, WC, and XC non-fluted, were close on price--the XC was actually cheapest--but only the XC meet my requirements. PLUS I could get it fluted how I wanted to save the most weight possible and to (hopefully) look good.

I picked up a Ballistics Advantage 20" 308 with a thinner profile for $140 from Primary Arms in the meanwhile. I need a lower for that one...sometime before the next election... more like before the next VA election I guess...

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington