If you are hunting game smaller than Elk (Wapiti they are called here) and don't feel the need to be trying to take shots at 500+yds then I think .308win makes about the most sense of any round about. I have hunting most of my life with either a .308Win or .300WM and these days it is much more often than not with the .308. I like to think I have a modicum of field skill and that allows me to stalk deer to ranges WELL within the ability of the .308. Loaded with 130, 150 and 165gn projectiles you have a whole range of options for game, or do as I have done for the last 14yrs, just use factory 150gn loadings and call it good. Like Gary, I am a great fan of the package size you get with most medium action rifles (vs long action for the .300 etc).

This year I will hunt a bit more with my .300 as I am taking it to NZ with me next year as the ranges involved in the Sika hunting there are significantly longer and it is here where the .300 excels.

Now my curve balls... I love the 6.5x55 round...!!!! ballistically is is just BRILLIANT and is a fabulous killer !!! The main reason I don't have one is that the round requires a long action to chamber it. As a result I am REALLY interested in the .260 Remington and one day (probably in retirement) I will build and tinker with one.

I personally recommend the .308 to about everyone. That there is a plethora of ammunition choices and that it can be a common calibre to your other 7.62 rifles you may have squirreled away, just makes it more sensible.