Originally Posted by greaser
Originally Posted by lazi

I had been thinking if getting a .357 H&R Handi Rifle some day. I just recalled that the H&R and NEF shotguns are built on the same receivers (SB1) as the pistol caliber rifles. I went back to the shop and got a case hardened NEF 3" 12 gauge for $80 otd. I'll probably send it in at some point for a .357 barrel. I was told it would run about $140. It seems a lot of guys are teeming them out to .357 maximum and getting good results. The shotgun barrel might come in handy if I ever get around to doing some turkey hunting.

Let me know how this goes sounds like a great way to have a backpackable multi caliber gun.

Well, last week I ran across a new .357 handi and decided to just buy it and be done with it. Guy said they had layaway and since I'm not in any rush to use it I decided it can sit at the shop until a couple months before deer season starts. I usually can't seem to find one come that time so it works for me. Our hunting rules will actually be changing soon to where we can use whatever rifle you want on private land during primitive weapon seasons. I just always wanted a .357 handi rifle and this one will be for plinking and handing to any new shooters or hunters who may want to hunt with me. I bought an old 30-30 for that role but decided I didn't like the idea of inexperienced folks having to pull the trigger to drop the hammer after they chambered a round. Maybe as they (meaning "I") get more comfortable I will move them to the 30-30 but I think a single shot .357 will do just fine for anybody where we will hunt. Reamed out to .357 maximum should also make it an interesting rifle to have in the hunting lineup.

I don't know what I will do with my 45-70 handi rifle. I guess I will lock it up and let it collect dust until I figure it all out. The next hunting rifle I want to get is a .308 or .300wm bolt rifle and I think either of those may sort of diminish any reasons I could have for keeping the 45-70 handi. Maybe not as big a pill but still plenty of reach and plenty enough medicine for these parts. The only plus to the 45-70 is that other than the $30 one piece rings I most likely wouldn't spend another dime on that rifle including buying any more ammo. I have 4 boxes of lever revolution ammo and it shoots that great. It's not that much of plinker (to me) and it's all about the meat. The rifle probably wont see 50 rounds in my lifetime if it remains in my possession. While I'm sure it will be worth it if decided to use it the whole "primitive weapons season" was the main reason for owning it. And the .357 handi would now have me covered if I should ever end up on public hunting grounds. A barrel swap to .308 or 7.62x39 may be the way to go with this one...

This post got long... Was just thinking out loud...

JYD #82 yup...